MISTRAS, STARTED OUT IN 1978 MANUFACTURING MONITORING SYSTEMS AND SENSORS…
Offering a complete monitoring service including:
- Free site survey and bespoke monitoring system design
- System manufacture, supply and sensor integration
- System installation with industry experienced technicians
- Long term data management and reporting bespoke to the project
- On-site system support and maintenance with dedicated team
Our monitoring systems, developed and manufactured by MISTRAS, are specifically designed to provide engineers with accurate information about structural performance and behaviour, defect growth, and long-term condition monitoring. This information enables engineers to have accurate information on which to make informed decisions about structural operation, safety and maintenance.
MISTRAS solutions include:
- Steel fatigue and crack detection and monitoring
- Structural Health Monitoring (SHM)
- Concrete micro fracture detection and monitoring
- Wire break monitoring in post tension concrete structures
- Wire break monitoring in suspension and cable stay bridges
- Strain, rotation, acceleration, displacement, movement monitoring
Long-term monitoring solutions from MISTRAS integrate data from many types of sensor into a real-time, secure, web- based delivery available via smart phone and tablets. Where required, MISTRAS provides automated and intelligent alerts and alarms via email and text message so you can keep informed through the day. Our emphasis is always on providing information relevant to the client specific needs, with the base data accessible via network.
IF DAMAGE IS OCCURING
WHERE DAMAGE IS OCCURING
WHEN DAMAGE IS OCCURING
SEVERITY OF DAMAGE
Unlike physical measurements such as displacement and strain, AE is unique in that it detects and locates active material damage in real-time, often at the microstructure level, so the results can be used to directly assess the effect of loading and ageing on structural degradation. The use of AE coupled with physical monitoring allows the correlation of structural loading with any resulting damage (either directly or indirectly).
AE sensors attached to the structure and monitored by a local AE system record the relevant transient elastic waves released by structures during stressing materials. The nature of this stressing and the appropriate monitoring envelope is interdependent. Monitoring requires sufficient time or loading cycles to allow for confident identification of damage or longer periods/repeat testing needed to establish rate of change or deterioration.
The results of AE monitoring determine:
- If damage is occurring in the structure; this may be many metres away from the nearest AE sensor
- Where the damage is occurring, even internally, under paint or dirt
- When the damage is occurring and, through correlation with other parameters, the possible reason why
- The nature of damage and an indication of stage or severity
Whilst not used to size defects, AE is sensitive to growing flaws in any orientation, and can be used to identify damage at early stage, giving advanced notice of developing problems.
MISTRAS has extensive experience in the application of AE monitoring to:
- Metal structures (crack and fatigue detection and monitoring in pressure vessels, bridges, offshore platforms, cranes, aerospace, cables)
- Concrete (cracking in beams, slabs, box girders, half joints and hinge joints)
- Masonry and rock
- Composites including FRP and CFRP
- Slow moving bearings
We provide certified and trained (AE) engineers to ASNT TC1A and/or BINDT PCN (including CCNSG, CSCS, IRATA, confined space training City and Guilds 6150-02, offshore certified UK and Norwegian Sector).
Concrete Crack Monitoring
Offshore Steel Fatigue Monitoring
AE Monitoring Installation on Steel Box Girders
Strain, Movement & Environmental Monitoring
MOVEMENT ROTATION, TILT, VIBRATION
STRAIN ON METALS & CONCRETE
WEATHER TEMPERATURE, WIND
CAMERA VIDEO, STILL & INFRARED
In order to meet the diverse needs of many industries and customers, we offer an extensive range of sensors and systems to record the movement and loading conditions on structures. MISTRAS can either design and build a custom monitoring system to provide a specific solution to a specific customer need, or respond to a predefined monitoring specification with one of our many prefabricated solutions.
We have specific expertise in:
- Remote monitoring
- Long and short term monitoring
- Dynamic and static load testing
- High speed sampling
- Multi-channel monitoring
- Intrinsically safe and IP rated instrumentation
- Automated total stations
- Multi-sensor integration
- Intelligent data collection and processing
- Web based reporting
MISTRAS monitoring options include:
- Strain (metals and concrete)
- Temperature (ambient air and material)
- Wind speed and direction
- Cameras (video and still, inc IR)
- Load and vehicle speeds
We provide a full design service and experienced installation teams (including IRATA, confined space, offshore certified). Once installed, we provide full remote system management, reporting, long term support and maintenance.
Durable Installations for Long Term Monitoring of Masonry Structures
Precision Strain Gauge Measurement
Installation and Maintenance of Structural Monitoring Systems, including Power & Communication Solutions
Wire Break Monitoring
DETECT WHEN WIRE BREAKS ARE PRESENT
LOCATE DETECTED WIRE BREAKS
MONITOR PROGRESSION OF DAMAGE
ALERT VIA WEB, EMAIL OR SMS
Using permanently installed Acoustic Emission (AE) monitoring, MISTRAS is able to detect, locate and trend wire breaks in both post-tension concrete and cable bridge structures.
Historically most traditional condition and integrity assessment of tensioned cables has been based upon the intrusive visual inspection of the internal structure. These inspections are costly, potentially damaging to the structure and, perhaps mostly importantly, can only be carried out on a very small proportion of the structure – typically significantly less than one percent.
Following the identification of cable corrosion and wire breaks on many suspension bridges and post-tensioned structures, particularly in the UK and USA, asset owners and maintainers have realised the need for accurate assessments of condition and deterioration rate to allow for long-term asset management and whole life costing. This need can easily be fulfilled with Acoustic monitoring.
MISTRAS Acoustic Monitoring has undergone extensive development and testing including a four year research project with Dr. Bojidar Yanev of New York DOT, Columbia University (NYC) and Parson Transport Group. MISTRAS have many successful blind test wire breaks on suspension bridge cables, as well as a third party verified natural wire break which occurred within a small open section of unwrapped cable.
Our Acoustic monitoring system was extensively tested during Japanese Public Highways Corporation long term corrosion tests on concrete beams with parallel wires, strands and Macalloy bars, in grouted, un-grouted and partially grouted ducts. The system has also undergone Transport for London blind testing, successfully detecting and locating a single notched wire which later failed.
MISTRAS Acoustic Wire Break Monitoring
- Filters back ground noise automatically
- Confirms the presence or absence of wire breaks during the period monitored
- Determines the location of any wire break “hot spots”, guiding intrusive inspection to key areas of the structure, making it significantly more cost effective, or reduce the need if little or no wire breakage occurs.
- Allows condition monitoring of high priority infrastructure, high value, and safety critical structures.
The addition of wire breaks detected by Acoustic Monitoring to an accepted cable condition baseline (from inspection) allows maintenance and management of the structure, as well as strategic longer term planning for structural repairs or, in the worst case, replacement.
MISTRAS has extensive experience in the application of wire break monitoring to:
- Suspension bridges
- Cable stay bridges
- Post tension beams, slabs and box girders
- Flexible risers
We provide a full design service, experienced installation teams, including IRATA, confined space, offshore certified. Once installed, we provide full remote system management, reporting, long-term support and maintenance. MISTRAS offer a completely open service and can demystify the technology and process. We can show clients our full design process, example wire breaks and our analysis procedures to provide full reassurance in the technology and service we provide.
Real time monitoring website showing wire break locations and frequency
Customer blind wire break trial at Hammersmith flyover